Saturday, April 13, 2013

Working for Yourself

Today, I am off sharing Thirty One at the Family Wellness & Beauty Day at Shido Martial Arts in Freehold, NJ.  All monies raised from the $10 tickets will be donated to We're Kickin It AntiBullying Program.  I can do things like this because I am my own boss!

When I first went to work, I never wanted to be my own boss but as I got older, had my daughter and saw what I was missing as a single mom - that changed.  I took the skills I learned in grants management for a non-profit and opened my first business "H.O.P.E. Consultants". I worked for 4 years while my daughter was in High School as my own boss.  Then I found a grassroots non-profit that I wanted to help so I joined the Monday-Friday workforce again.  After 6 years, I left that job that I LOVED (and hated - LOL) to go back into business for myself as a Direct Sales Consultant.  Why?  The freedom to make my own hours and no commute to work far outweighed the cons to owning your own business.  

Here is an portion on an article that was in Forbes about What to Expect When You Work For Yourself...


So do you have what it takes to be your own boss? Here are some hurdles you will certainly face if you decide to go off on your own:
Obstacle: It’s Just You:   If you become a sole proprietor or member of a small business, all responsibilities fall on you. Or maybe it’s not just you; perhaps you’ll have new employees or interns to manage, and this might be new territory. You’ll also be managing your own schedule, which can be difficult if you’re used to structure. You might be able to adapt to these changes, but personality can play a large role in what you’re comfortable with. Personally, I’m a bit of a control freak so I love having a hand in every aspect of our business. Time management took a bit longer to master, but I now know how to maximize my productivity.  Advantage: It’s just you! No more office politics, micromanagement, or working for someone who doesn’t appreciate you– the list goes on and on.
Obstacle: Blending Your Work Life with Your Home Life:  Most people enjoy that an office job gives them the ability to, both physically and mentally, leave their work at the office. This can be tricky to maneuver if you’re now working in your home, and could also be an obstacle for those you live with. You may benefit from renting a separate office space, but this isn’t always practical. After years of working from home, setting up a separate area for our books and “office” has helped us to stay more organized. It also prevents our business from intruding into every aspect of our personal lives– for the most part.  Advantage: No commuting! And blending might not be bad at all if you build your business around something you’re personally passionate about.

Obstacle: You Will Work Longer and Harder Than Ever Before:  You’'ve probably heard entrepreneurs say “I work from the minute I wake up until the minute I go to sleep.” It may not be like this all the time, but for the most part, it is absolutely true. It will be especially true in the beginning, as you’ll need to do whatever it takes to get your startup going.  Advantage: You will work longer and harder, but it’s ultimately for your own gain. Nothing is more satisfying than that! While you will make time sacrifices, you’ll also have more flexibility. I'’ve gotten over the fact that I will work during every Super Bowl for the foreseeable future (and I am a huge football fan!) because I have a trade show that weekend every year. But even though I work most weekends and many holidays, I ultimately have the ability to change my schedule when I really need to.
There are certainly sacrifices toward owning your own business, but for successful entrepreneurs, the advantages far outweigh the difficulties.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment