Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Chapter Ends

 A bittersweet moment on Tuesday... for the last 6 years, I have been holding the mortgage on our old home (a double wide trailer in Atlantic County).  The buyer was a single mom with 4 kids who has struggled with growing up over the last 6 years.  A milestone for both of us, the mortgage has been paid in full.  WOW!  Who would have thought it would have been such an emotional day!

When I look back on the 22 years that I have owned the trailer, I can't help but think of the memories - good and bad.  As my daughter Belinda Heldreth said, it was the only home she ever knew.  My hubby, Rob, shared about how we became a couple and struggled to become a family.  As for me, I can't even begin to share all of the memories that are wrapped up in our old home.  The remodeling that was done by us - Belinda & I along with my aunts Edythe & Elsie.  The Christmases spent decorating the house and setting up Belinda's Department 56 village.  The family dinners.  The tears as we came to terms with my grandmother's Alzheimers and the need to place her in a nursing home.  The years that Elsie lived down the street so "her buddy" Belinda got to visit daily.  The week-end home that Edythe had around the corner so that we could all help take care of Grams as she got sick.  The list goes on, and the tears are again flowing.  I never thought that it would hit me this hard.

That chapter of my life is closed, worn like a good book that will be opened and revisited through pictures and stories for years to come.  It is a new chapter for Julie and her family.  A single mom who I have seen grow into a women who is working towards opening her own business.  Someone who actually thanked me for the tough love and the support along the way.  In her own way, she was a blessing to me.  A reminder of where I was, how far I have come  and the importance of giving back in some small way to others who may be struggling.  Something that I have tried to do since I got into recovery those 22 years ago.  

As a chapter ends, a new one begins.  Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment