Monday, April 1, 2013

The Gift of Giving

I was blessed this past weekend to be part of "Operation Spring Child" in conjunction with HK Missions.  HK Missions is all about Healing through Kindness! 


With the help of some of my Thirty One customers, friends and family from around the country, we were able to provide six filled zipper pouches to Ocean Medical Center in Brick,NJ.  The Administration were overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone.  Thank you to: Brandi Angus , Debbie Ventriello, LaQuitea VaughnJoan Heldreth , Stephanie Loder, Nicole Borato of Jersey Cookie Girl and the MOMS Club of Jackson for their wonderful get well cards. 

This is from the HK Mission Facebook Page - is named after two kids, Hunter and Kendra.  Their mom writes this: Both of my children were in the hospital several times throughout their young lives. They were each given an activity bag during their stay, and they were able to bring the bag home, as well.  This helped keep them busy and made them feel REALLY special while they were there! These activity bags were donated by local groups such as churches and other organizations.  

From a Parents Perspective: It really touched my heart to know that someone I never met, who didn't know me or my child, could care enough to take the time, the financial burden and the love to put together a care package to make my child happy during such a difficult time. It brought tears to my eyes then and even now. I vowed one day, when my kids where healthy enough, to give back to children who are now in the position they once were. That day is now.

As a mom, I was blessed that despite my unhealthy lifestyle when I was pregnant with my daughter, Belinda Heldreth, she was born a healthy baby. Kids, especially sick or disadvantaged have always had my heart - from my days at the South Jersey AIDS Alliance working with HIV+ families to Bethel Development Corporation where we ministered to underserved families - my focus has been on helping kids.

In addition to the toys and activities for the kids, I included an inspirational book for the moms who spend many hours waiting by their children's side.  There is also a card with a prayer for the parents and a note asking them to pass it on when they are able to another child.  

Random acts of kindness can change the world, one small step at a time.  I challenge each of you to do one random act of kindness - bring a smile to not only someone else but see how your life is blessed by that simple act of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment