Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Becoming a Leader

Several months ago, I promoted to Director with Thirty One - a goal that I had been working towards for several months.  In fact, that was my main goal to achieve before National Conference this year in Atlanta.  Goal achieved!  

As I read an article by Karen Phelps on Leadership Skills, I realized that I had achieved my goal but didn't know what to do next.  Although I have been a Program Coordinator and a Chief Operating Officer in the non-profit world, in the direct selling world of leaders - I was clueless.  It seems that after doing some research, I wasn't alone according to Karen Phelps - "many direct selling leaders arrive accidentally at a new position and aren't sure how they got there or what to do next".  On paper my goal was to be a Director but I don't know if I really knew what that meant (besides a more money in my commission check).  The reality that there was more to being a Director hit when one of my downline recruited TWO new team members.  Her question "Who will send them their new consultant binders - you or Hope Shortt (my Director)?" SMACK!  It would now be me and I was definitely not ready for that task.  Quickly, I began to cut and paste what I was sent to send to MY new team members.

So, here are a few tips that I gained from the article and will begin to put into action for myself:
  • Change yourself first!  If you need to change things in your life, start there.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing just what positive things you can change.  This is a tough one for me because I almost always catch myself comparing my business to others.
  • Realize that human beings are emotional and that what we say and do is based on our emotions.  Basically, we need to take time to find out about our team.  I have been blessed to be able to connect (even if only by Facebook or email) with most of my team so I know what their goals (large or small) are as it relates to their business.
  • Good leaders are empathetic and sensitive to others.  Basically, be a good listener so that you can hear what they are saying between the lines.  The more that you listen, the more they will trust you.
  • One of the greatest ways to influence others is by asking questions and really listening to the answers.  Don't state a comment if you can ask a question.  This goes along with the 10-second rule that I learned from Dana Wilde from the MindAware.  If you are talking for more than 10-seconds after you ask a question - you aren't listening.  I try to practice this on a regular basis.
  • Set a good example!  People love to follow a leader that knows where she is going.  Good leaders are self-disciplined, have clear ideals and continually aspire to reach their goals.  Sometimes I think I just fall into this.  I do have goals, a vision board and on most days clear ideals.  As far as self-disciplined, this is something that I have to work on.
  • Keep Learning!  When you arrive at a leadership level it is the perfect time to learn new skills so you and your team can keep ahead in the game!  I am always looking for new tips and skills that I can put into practice as well as share with my team.
So, even though my goal was to promote to Director, I am not sure the reality of it has hit or will hit until I have the privilege of walking across stage at National Conference in July to meet THE Cindy Monroe and have my picture taken.  On any given day, I have to have FAITH that God is with me, walking beside me to help me on this journey and is guiding me to fulfill my mission which is "to inspire and nurture women; cultivating their inner beauty that God delights in.  To help them identify their dreams while providing personal, preferred service to my Thirty One customers, hostesses and team."   

Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment