Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Magic Wand of Weight Loss

Have I got your attention?  Okay, so I don't have a magic wand - believe me if I did I would have used it by now.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a magic wand that we could wave, and suddenly the pounds would melt from our flesh and we would be the perfect weight? I know of no one who would choose the rigors and demands of a diet over a magic wand.

I just wanted to share that the journey for some is long - it has been 8 years of working towards my weight loss goal and I am not there yet.  When I had my daughter, 24 years ago, I was a hefty 295 pounds.  Those that didn't know me in my "previous life" would be shocked and actually think I am kidding until I show them pictures.  Mind you there aren't many of them but the few there are, at that time, I didn't see how heavy I was.  No, I didn't have rose colored glasses but it was just who I was.  When I went into recovery (a story for another time) I was probably the only person to loose 11 pounds.  Still, I didn't see a problem.  I guess it finally hit me when I saw a picture of myself and my daughter at my niece's wedding.  WOW!  That is the picture that I carry with me as my "before" shot.

I joined Weight Watchers and things began to happen.  I was not one of those people who got it right away. Eat less was easy, move more - not so easy for I disliked exercise.  See it has been a process for me as I am now only about 11 pounds from my goal weight.  NOW, I am starting to move more - not always easy but definitely better now that I have an accountability partner (actually a few of them) who I meet at the gym (more on this in future postings).  Working together has definitely helped - the goal is 3 times a week - do I always achieve it - NO!  I keep trying...

Whether your goal is 10 pounds or 100 plus pounds, it can be done.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Don't think because you don't reach goal in "x" amount of time, it isn't worth it.  Look at me - 8 years, 104 pounds and still 11 pounds to go.  For me, it was Weight Watchers - sensible eating, a GREAT leader - Nicole Dibella-Belo and the many friends that I have now made at the meetings.  Yes, I attend the weekly meetings because for me - it works.  Then on those days when I seem at my wit's end I ask God for help, that I might remain committed to the task no matter how long it takes. When I call on the Lord, He grants me the patience I so desperately need.  

Have a ThirtyOne-derful day.

Check out Weight Watchers at http://www.weightwatchers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment