Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jiggle Thighs - A new way to look at them...

I read an email/ blog posting on Women Living Well about learning to accept things "in the Opposite World" which really made to stop to think that I need to look at my "jiggle thighs" in a different way..

For as long as I can remember, I have had "bumps" on the top of my thighs.  Yes, they have gotten smaller with the loss of 105 pounds but they are still there!  I walk, maybe not as much as I could but you would figure loosing 105 pounds would have helped to get rid of them, right?  I wear clothes that conceal them but I still know they are there.  Of course you can really notice them because my waist continues to shrink and nothing is in proportion.  So maybe this isn't your problem area, maybe it is the "jiggle arms" or the muffin top or the roll our bra creates - no matter what we all seem to judge ourselves when we look in the mirror..

How about this thought....My jiggle thighs are evidence of God’s goodness in my life! Sounds crazy, right? Mind you I never notice this or any other problem area on other people, just on myself.  Most people don't mention it - okay maybe an occasional child who is curious but why wouldn't they be - I'm curious as to know why God has blessed me with these wonderful thighs.  

In the article I read, Jen Wilken was noted on several occasions.  One of the key statements she wrote was "The expectation of physical perfection hits modern females early and often. In middle school, girls cut themselves to deal with the pressures of conforming to the ideal. In middle age, women do, too—but allow the surgeon to hold the knife."  WOW! She then goes on to say "We carve the record of our self-loathing into the very flesh of our bodies—a self-marring, a literal carving of an idol. Increasingly, physical perfection is the legacy of womanhood in our culture, handed down with meticulous care from mother to daughter, with more faithful instruction in word and deed than we can trouble to devote to cultivating kindness, peacemaking, and acceptance that characterize unfading, inner beauty."

I say all this to say - let's not torture ourselves with lies about the need to have a perfect body or to be an ideal weight.  I am not saying - don't be healthy, what I am saying is strive for a goal that is reachable for you.  I am learning to accept me for me - jiggle thighs and all - knowing that I am beautifully made by God.  I am not less than because it has taken me a "LONG" time to reach my goal weight.  I am not less than because my body is not a perfect size 10.  

Today, I am living in the hope, security and the arms of Higher Power who loves me unconditionally.  Give yourself a break today and know that as long as you are trying your best - that is all that God is asking of you.

For tips on healthy weight loss check out - Weight Watchers.

Have ThirtyOne-derful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment