Monday, June 3, 2013

Virtual Events

"Hi, my name is Hope and I am technically challenged (as well as vertically challenged)".  Yes, I blog, do Facebook, re-tweet & tweet but when it comes to doing an online event - FEAR!  I know many people who successfully host online parties and meetings but I am not one of them.

In an effort to learn more about it and to try and have a successful event, I checked in with Direct Selling Education Foundation and found an article on "12 Tips for Successful Online Virtual Events".  They seem basic enough even for the technically challenged:

  1. Have a clear goal for the event.  Simple enough.  A meeting for my team, a sale on my VIP Customer page, etc.  Stating this up front lets people know what to expect and whether they want to be a part of it.
  2. Invite several ways.  Don't just set up a Facebook event and forget about it.  TELL people BEFORE you send the invite so that it isn't considered spam.  WOW!  I just kept posting on FB, I never thought about putting out an email.  I guess that should have been a no-brainer.
  3. Make the invitation special and fun.  This one still has me a little baffled because I am not sure how to make a meeting fun online.  The thrill of a sale is fun for some.  
  4. Special offers.  This worked with my flash sale in my VIP Customer group.  It was a contest to see who could "grab" the special item first at a discounted price.  
  5. Be brief.  OPPS!  It is recommended that they be no more than 30 minutes.  My flash sale went on for 2 hours.  People came and went while some stayed the whole time to see what deals they could get.
  6. Pick up the pace.  Keep things moving.  I can understand that with a party, event or sale but I am not sure how to do this with a meeting.
  7. Make it visual.  This is the only way that I know to keep things moving - pictures of products with little words.  Looking for ideas on how to do this during a meeting....HELP!
  8. Don't overwhelm.  Don't pitch too many products or details.  Okay, so I definitely blew this one.  Over 50 items in 2 hours may have been a bit much!
  9. Be social.  Encourage the participants to interact with each other.  Ideas on how to do this with a meeting would be helpful.  Sharing product and uses is easy for people but how about during a meeting
  10. Provide a call to action.  I did this by ending the event with a "special" deal good only for those who participated in the event to shop at a discount for any item.  It was a huge hit and added to my current sales.
  11. Get their contact information.  This confuses me if you are doing an invitation only event, shouldn't you have their contact information.  
  12. Stay online after the event.  Make yourself available for questions or so people can reach out to you for up to 30 minutes after the virtual event.
I am putting together another flash sale online so I am going to try and give some of these ideas a try.  I would still love to figure out how to skype a party or meeting as well as do an online meeting - any ideas or tips would be appreciated. 

Have you attended or run online events for your business? What was the experience like? What would you like to improve about the experience? Would love to read your thoughts in the comments
!
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment