Monday, June 10, 2013

FEAR and the Dentist

Today is the DAY!  I am taking the dreaded walk to the dentist.  Okay, so some may say this is no big deal right?  No one likes a trip to the dentist.  This is a HUGE achievement for me.  So much so, that Belinda sent me a message that said "proud of you mom".  

As far as I can tell, I can trace my fear back to being traumatized as a child.  A painful experience that scared me for life.  So much so that when I had to have my wisdom teeth out at about 25, they had to give me Valium to take BEFORE I even left my house. Then, about 10 years ago, I was going sporadically - they did a root canal on my front tooth and said all would be well.  HA!  The tooth is dead and has yellowed.  So much for that great smile.  

Through all of this, I managed to make going to the dentist a pleasant thing for my daughter, Belinda.  From her first trip to the UMDNJ - Dental Clinic through getting braces and even now - she faithfully (based on her insurance) goes to the dentist.  I mean, how sad is it that your child has to hold your hand while they work on your teeth because you are scared!  Okay, so it is a little funny but so the TRUTH! I mean when Belinda had to have 4 baby teeth pulled, they did it at one time with only some nova cane to ease the pain.  Meanwhile, I was crying in the other room while they filled a cavity. 

Hubby had to see the dentist and I decided to make an appointment.  I explained that I was a baby and haven't been to the dentist in about 10 years.  They were okay with that.  They work with kids so they know how to be gentle.  They understand FEAR!  Now, don't send me lots of messages on the importance of going to the dentist.  I have heard it all.  I know that this will be the first of many visits as I need some major work done to repair the damage from my years of bulimia, drug addiction and just general lack of attention to my teeth.  I am sure that having a high tolerance of pain hasn't helped either since when I have a tooth ache, I take some aspirin and am done with it.  

If you hear load screaming coming from the Brick area at about 3:30PM, don't be alarmed.  It is only me in the dentist chair while they clean my teeth, take x-rays and determine what needs to be done.  Send positive thoughts my way, please!

Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment