Sunday, June 9, 2013

Listening to Our Own Advice

Some say you can't teach a old dog new tricks.  Some say if you are going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk. As for me, I have lots of "stuff" in my head.  I have taken many classes to grow my business, for personal development and on how to be a leader.  From each of those experiences I have gathered tidbits of wisdom that I tuck away and that randomly comes out when I am talking to someone.  I usually quickly tell people, that the information was gotten from XYZ class or from a professional coach.  

You may be saying "so what is the point?", right?  Usually after a great training experience where we have heard a lot of good ideas - we are motivated to try them all.  I know, I know - I have always talked about making small changes but I am an all or nothing kind of gal.  Yesterday, I got my "DUH!" moment about follow-up and making small changes.  You know that moment when someone smacks you on the forehead and says "you should know that".

After spending the last few weeks worrying about hubby, hospital visits and now doctor visits.  I took a stand and told him that I needed to spend about 3 hours playing catch up.  Okay, typically for me that means emails and Facebook   As I was cleaning off my desk (another busy task), my leads file emptied out.  Mind you these are all of those wonderful guest care cards that people fill out at vendor events.  They know that you will probably call them, asking them for business or to host a party.  SURPRISE!  Mine are all piled neatly in a folder waiting.  They have been entered in my back office so people are at least getting my monthly emails but the majority of them have NOT been called.

After listening to a 31 minute training call on goals - I decided that I needed a SMALL one to get me moving.  I was going to make it a GOAL to call at last 5 people per day from my lead file.  For accountability, I even shared the goal with my hubby who thought this was a no-brainer.  I have repeatedly coached my team and others on the importance of making calls.  I have come up with every reason why they should and shared multiple training calls with them to help with the process.  Did I take my own advice?  No.  I may for 1 or 2 days but never for the 21-days it takes to make it a habit.  Even with the inspiration of another direct sales consultant, Maggie, who has a nightly hour that she does follow-up, I was slow to jump in.  

I DID IT!  The benefits were very surprising.  I called a hostess that I haven't really talked to since her party in December of last year (I know practice what I preach).  She said, we were just talking about you - I would LOVE to place an order.  Okay, well when I got to her house to pick up her order, it was a $200 party with just 3 orders.  So, out of the 4 calls that I made, one turned out to be a sale.  Now I know that doesn't happen all of the time but it was just the right "kick in the butt" that I needed to start my NEW 21-day challenge - calling 5 people a day (lead follow-up, past hostesses or past customers).  I do love a good challenge so we shall see.

If you are coaching others, sharing tips or sharing advice - LISTEN to what you are saying.  Take stock of your own actions.  Do you practice what you preach?  If not, take one thing and change it!  Can't wait to hear what small change you are making - please feel free to share.

Have a ThirtyOne-derful day.     

No comments:

Post a Comment