Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Finding My Confidence

Last week was a whirlwind of AHA moments as I listening to training calls, coached other direct sellers, attended a business plan class and then an AMAZING network meeting.  It all reinforced a posting that was on the Direct Sales Education Foundation's website about "Finding Confidence".

Self confidence has always been a struggle for me.  I have talked about it often in my blogs but it seems that I have been blessed over the last week with a bombardment of positive energy that is propelling me forward.  I am going to relate it to some of the tips that I found in the article.


  • Practice makes perfect.   I used to play the piano and I heard this ALL the time.  As we get older, at least for me, continually practicing my scripts for parties, etc seemed silly.  So I started small after our business plan class on describing my business.  I used to say "I am a Thirty One Consultant.  We sell purses, totes and accessories".  Well, the truth is we do much more than that so I have been practicing "I CELEBRATE, ENCOURAGE, REWARD hardworking women with simple solutions to life's organizational challenges while helping them to fulfill their dreams by offering them opportunities".  A mouth full but let me tell you, it changed the entire perspective for people on Friday when I introduced myself.  NOW, they were interested.  Without practicing, I would have resorted to my old intro.  
  • Find a mentor.  I have an amazing upline, Hope Shortt has been supportive and know just when to challenge me.  Find someone who you want to be like, ask them if you can shadow them.  Find someone who you can trust and respect and build a relationship.  I now also have an AMAZING group of women at Entrepreneurial Think Tank for Moms  who without knowing it have mentored me.  From blogging to dressing for success, they have helped me to find my confidence that I lost so long ago.  Thank you Nicole Borato from Jersey Cookie Girl for inviting me to the first meeting.
  • Find a partner.  Find a close friend, family member or even your spouse who can share in your accomplishments and help to bolster your confidence.  My hubby is my partner.  He shares in my accomplishments but he is also the first one to call me out when I am making excuses.
  • Dress for success.  This is something else that I have heard since my college days.  Wear something that makes you feel good when you go to a presentation or a meeting.  It should fit well and be put together with accessories and hair style.  Someone asked me the other day if I had a makeover.  I was THRILLED.  No, not a formal one but I did in my head.  How?  Hair style instead of just long hair hanging.  Out of my jeans for meetings and into a pair of khakis (capris right now) with a nice shirt and jewelry.  Makeup.  I never leave the house without some even if it is just mascara.  You never know who you will run into on the trip to the grocery store to grab a gallon of milk.
Simple tips but for those of us who have a small comfort zone, this is a BIG deal.  Things that I have heard for years but seemed to think they wouldn't work anymore - guess what, they do!  Are you ready to grow your business?  Are you ready to challenge yourself?  Try one of these tips, if not all of them.  DREAM BIG!  The sky is the limit.

How did you find your confidence?  Please share, I would love to hear and at the same time, you may help someone else.  Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment