Thursday, May 16, 2013

What Kind of Car are you?

Doing morning devotionals from iBelieve.com this morning called "What is Your Pace?" made me think about the differences between my hubby and I.  Now, I know they say that opposites attract but it can be tough sometimes as you deal with life on life's terms each day.

There are actually five categories of cars that were described as an exert from a book entitled "10 Best Decisions a Man Can Make".  The 5 categories are: the muscle car, the sports car, the semi, the mail truck and the tractor.  As I read the descriptions of each, I thought about my hubby and my daughter (even though she doesn't live at home).  The results may help me to better understand their reactions to the way that I handle or do things.

Rob is like a "semi".  He stops and starts slowly, planning out life.  I have always said that he is a planner - he sets goals and achieves them whether it is planning a vacation or paying off the mortgage.  Each goal has the same methodical plan.

As you can probably guess, this is definitely NOT me!  I am more like the "mail truck".  Although I don't walk around with a sign on my back that says "makes frequent stops" those that know me would probably say this is try.  I am on a route but move at a slower pace because I am interested in individuals (family, team, friends) and am easily interrupted with checking on them.  Some may say that I switch to a "sports car' on some days because they prefer roads that have lots of turns and quick transitions so I am spontaneous in decision-making.  

My daughter on the other hand is a "muscle car".  When you really get to know her, she likes to move fast, make quick decisions and pursue big opportunities while charging towards her goals.

This is such a great way to understand the dynamics that take place in our family.  I know that no matter how many turns or stops that I make, Rob is always ahead of me planning and moving forward waiting for me to get back on the road behind the semi.  Just as I get frustrated on the road when a semi is in front of me - I get frustrated at times with his planning nature.  I love that my daughter is charging forward towards her goal always knowing that the semi and mail truck are here to back her up when she needs it.

What is your pace? Check out the article on iBelieve.  Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment